THE HISTORY OF HORBURY WMC
In the year of 1894, a small number of local Horbury men were stood in Queen Street, Horbury, Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England. They were discussing the cost of Ales and Stouts in the local public houses and the lack of sporting facilities for people of the town.
The men had heard that the Working Mens Club and Institute Union had been formed. The founder and driving force behind the Union was the Reverend Henry Solly MA. He resigned his Unitarian ministry in Lancaster to become the organizing secretary of the Union in 1892. He travelled ceaselessly, persuading, entreating all and sundry, employers, employed, to start “Working Mens Clubs”
It was decided to form such a club in Horbury. They secured premises at the top of New Street, Horbury. The first President and Steward were messrs. Andrew Lambert and Squire Robinson respectively. The Club being named Horbury Working Mens Club was first registered and affiliated to the Working Mens Club and Institute Union in 1896.
The Club grew in popularity and the premises were fast becoming too small for the Clubs needs. On the 26th July 1899 “Hallcroft, Cluntergate, Horbury became available for lease.
“Hallcroft being a large country house with over eight acres of land. The house was erected in 1827, by Mr John Schofield, lawyer, of Horbury, who was also a Common Lands Trustee. Mr Schofield’s Niece, Miss Frances Bibby ( whose parents were connected with the Bibby Line of Steamships ) married the late Captain Battye’s father.
The Committee and Members of Horbury Working Mens Club agreed to take up the lease at a cost of £85 per annum, for Twenty One Years and moved into the premises some six day’s later. They literally rolled the barrels of beer down from their old premises to “Hallcroft” in order to continue trading as soon as possible.
The lease that the rent of £85 per annum had to be paid in two equal halves on the last Thursdays in January and July. The Property, Gardens and Pleasure Grounds were to be well maintained also “Cultivated in a husband like manner the kitchen garden”.
“Hallcroft” has long been regarded as one of the townships show places, and from the front a fine view of Calder Grove, on the outskirts of Wakefield, to Wooley, a small village half way between Wakefield and Barnsley, can be obtained. A Bowling Green, Football and Cricket pitches were constructed. For many years and even today the Bowling Green is noted for its picturesque setting and is a favourite haunt of the Members and their wives.
No other Club in the area could boast of so much accommodation. On the ground floor was an entrance lobby, reading room, a large bar and two big front rooms, together with indoor lavatories. Upstairs there was a large concert hall, Committee room, bathroom and lavatories together with two attics. In addition, part of the building is used as the Stewards quarters. (Formally the servants quarters).
A founder Member was Mr Alfred Kershaw a former newsagent of Queen Street, Horbury and his Membership card bore the number One. His son Lockwood Kershaw was a member until his death at the age of 92, the latter days of his life being a Life Member. Lockwood’s son Harold became a member at the age of 18 and is a life Member today. His brother Norman was a member and former Doorman. Norman, being the father of Hilary Womersley, the late wife of Mr David Womersley, a current Trustee of the Club.
Football and Cricket teams were formed and many successful seasons followed. A Bandstand over the lower side of the bowling Green, proved very popular in the Summer, where regular band concerts were given. Members children’s sports and gala days were held these too being popular.
During the early years local members used the clubs bathroom, after completing their day’s work in the local mines and engineering factories, to clean up before enjoying a pint or two at the bar..
During the 1914/1918 Great War the Club was used extensively by troops coming and going to war.
On the 12th June 1918, a second lease was signed, by the Club Trustees, for a further 21 Years. The cost per annum being £86.0.0d, this being a £1 per annum increase on the previous lease. Along with the lease document Captain Battye sent the following letter, dated 4th June 1918.
The letter was written and signed by Capt. Battye at his home in Cadogen Square, London S W and so the premises were secure, for the Members, for another 21 Years at least, with the possible chance of purchasing the premises at a later date.
The second lease contained an inventory of fixtures and fittings belonging to the “lessees” (club) including:
Committee Room: Sixteen Hat & Coat hooks screwed on to a rail.
Entrance Hall: 24 feet hat & coat rail with hooks, 34 feet picture rail, 1 Ambulance Cabinet.
Bar: One hoist from bar to billiard room with all fittings ( still in place today but not accessible). One Counter 6 feet 6 inches by 20 inches with shelves and a cash draw, two beer pumping machines each with three pumps with all fittings from the bar to the cellar.
Outside: One wooden bowling tent, one lavatory basin with fittings, one weighing machine by W & T Avery (in cellar).
Gas fittings outside: two gas lamps and fittings (written in pencil). 1 electric lamp and swing sign.
All rights reserved. Horbury Working Members Club
© 2025
We need your consent to load the translations
We use a third-party service to translate the website content that may collect data about your activity. Please review the details in the privacy policy and accept the service to view the translations.